Music & Memory is all about bringing added joy into the lives of people suffering from Alzheimer’s, other forms of dementia and a wide range of cognitive and physical impairments.
The approach is simple, elegant and effective. A personalized music program is set up for an individual, which integrates smoothly into their life. Musical favorites can reawaken memories not lost to dementia and, at times, enable the participant to engage, converse, socialize and be present in the moment.
Personalized music has many benefits for elders. Again and again elder care professionals say that this program can be life changing, for some. Individuals can become more cooperative, attentive and willing to accept care, while the music brightens moods, boosts staff morale and allows the staff to be more person centered. The goal is to engage individuals to those around them.
Some Foss resident stories:
- When her iPod is on, she sings along, asks for it to be louder and doesn’t want to give it back.
- She was a musician, a cello player. Her children were musicians as well. Recently, she would not engage in group activities and became more isolated, until her iPod.
- The resident was restless, so quite often sat by the nurse so they could see her. With the iPod, filled with gospel and classical music, she doesn’t move around, keeping her safer, less restless and more relaxed.
- When her mother was wearing a borrowed iPod and her daughter saw the positive effect, she donated a new one to the program.
- The staff is constantly explaining to the residents that the iPods need to be charged, they can listen again tomorrow.
These are just a few of the stories since Foss became Certified in the Music & Memory program. Thank you for your support of this program.